A Last Minute Guide to Hartland's Memorial Day Celebration
Here's some information to help planning.
Memorial Day is here and if you're headed to Hartland, here's a last minute guide:
Patchy fog early but then expect steamy and hot. The high is forecasted for 89, according to the National Weather Service, but we appear to be done with the rain, for now. Definitely shorts weather.
Roads into the village area of the Hartland are closed from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., so plan accordingly. Available parking includes Hartland High School, Creekside Elementary, the main branch Cromaine District Library and the old Township Hall. Do not park at Hartland Middle School at Ore Creek, where the parade is staged.
The 10K/5K race is starting at 10 a.m. instead of 8 a.m. and there'll be a ribbon cutting ceremony for the re-grand opening of the Florence B. Dearing Museum. Also, watch for and cheer on 91-year-old Jim Bennett, who after knee surgery is planning to lead the parade.
- 7-11 a.m. — pancake breakfast at Village Elementary School.
- 10-11:15 a.m. — a 10K/5K run and 3K walk that will be held from starting from the Hartland High School field house.
- 10 a.m. — grand re-opening of the Florence B. Dearing Museum. The museum will be open for several hours on the holiday.
- 10 a.m. — Memorial Day service at Parshallville Cemetery.
- 10 a.m. — parade float judging at Hartland Middle School at Ore Creek.
- 10:15 a.m. — Memorial Day service at the Parshallville Mill Pond.
- 11 a.m. — Memorial Day service at Hartland Cemetery.
- 11 a.m. — demonstration by the Liberty Lakes Fencing Club at Epley Park.
- 11 a.m. — parade horse judging at the Spranger Field parking lot.
- 11:15 a.m. — fancy bike judging at the driveway of the Hartland Middle School at Ore Creek.
- 11:45 a.m. — Memorial Day service at the Hartland Mill Pond.
- noon — parade in the village area of Hartland. It begins at Hartland Middle School at Ore Creek and ends at Village Elementary School. A flyover also is at noon weather permitting.
- 1:15 p.m. — performance by the Hartland High School marching band at Epley Park.
- 2 p.m. — more live music starting at Epley Park.
Finally, say 'hi' to Hartland Patch …
Hartland Patch will have a table set up at Epley Park. Please, stop by and say "hello." You can sign up for an email subscription, possibly win a prize or give us a story idea. We'd love to meet you.