Now's the time when everyone is buying bags of candy for Halloween and soon the kids will be bringing it home too.
Be sure to keep all candy out of the reach of your pets. A small amount of chocolate can be toxic to dogs. The darker chocolates have higher concentrations of methylxanthines, which means even a small amount can be dangerous.
To avoid issues, we recommend keeping all candy out of the reach of pets. Even if they are eating other candy it can upset their stomachs and if wrappers are eaten can cause blockages.
If you're not sure if what your pet ate will be a problem, you can call us or poison control at 800-213-6680 or 888-425-4435. Mild symptoms of chocolate ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, agitation, increased thirst and elevated heart rate. If you notice any of these symptoms, please be sure to seek medical care.