1. The 75th Hunger Games
Tuesday, November 12 at 4 p.m.
- Get ready for the next movie by reliving “Catching Fire.” Register - Village.
2. Annie’s Ghosts Series: The Haven, One More Michigan Asylum
Wednesday, November 6 at 6:30 pm
- Local historian and researcher, Tiffany Dziurman, shares the story of The Haven, an asylum in the Rochester, Michigan area purported to be the asylum of the stars at one time. The Great Michigan Read 2013 book. Register - Village.
3. Annie’s Ghosts Series: Writing Memoir with Mardi Link
Wednesday, November 13 at 6:30 p.m.
- Hear published memoirist, Mardi Link author of "Bootstrapper," share her tales of bringing your life to publication and funding the writer's life. The Great Michigan Read 2013 book. Register - Village.
4. Annie’s Ghosts Series: Investigating the Past
Wednesday, November 20 at 6:30 p.m.
- Part private investigation, part genealogy, part investigative reporting, Annie's Ghosts reminds us that we all have stories worth knowing better. Learn from an expert how you can go about getting your story to be more fact than family fiction. The Great Michigan Read 2013 book. Register - Village.
- RETURNING SOLDIERS ILLUSTRATION/PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST FOR YOUTH AND TEENS
8 1/2” x 11” black and white, line drawings or 8” x 10” black and white original photographs depicting a returning soldier.
- WRITING ABOUT RETURNING SOLDIERS FOR TEENS AND ADULTS
Maximum 1500-word short stories, flash fiction, memoir, script, poetry—story must be complete within 1500 words. Genres open: historical fiction, mystery, horror, and romance but theme must be the return of a soldier from war. Adults and teens are encouraged to attend Cromaine Writers held each month, before submitting their story.
SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED BEGINNING OCTOBER 1
Three cash prizes for each contest; no age category prizes. Entry guidelines atwww.cromaine.org and at both Cromaine library locations.
DEADLINE: JANUARY 13, 2014
- Selected entries will be judged for inclusion in Cromaine’s Big Read 2014 anthology to be published in partnership with Thomson-Shore, Inc. Presentation to the public March 29, 2014 at the Big Read Kick-Off. “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald is our featured novel for Big Read 2014.