Veterans Day, a day for America to remember her military service members, is Sunday, November 11. Here's a round up of Michigan events honoring veterans as well as special offers for veterans by area businesses.
- Veterans Day Ceremony in Brighton- A ceremony will take place at 1 p.m. at the American Spirit Centre in Brighton. The public is welcome to attend.
- Veterans Day Assembly at Howell High School- A Veterans Day Assembly will be held on November 12 at 8:30am with special guest, keynote speaker Vietnam Veteran, John Colone.
- Veterans Day Ceremony in Howell- On Sunday, November 11 at 11 a.m. in front of the Livingston County Courthouse in downtown Howell, a ceremony will be help that includes speakers and 21-gun salute.
- Augusta - Fort Custer National Cemetery will have its traditional 11 AM on Nov. 11. The service includes speakers, music and special guests. 15501 Dickman Rd..
- Chelsea - The City of Chelsea will host its annual Veterans Day ceremony at 1 PM on Nov. 11 at Veterans Park. The ceremony will kick-off with a concert performance of "She’s a Grand Old Flag" by students from South Meadows Elementary School. The music will be followed by remarks from James Alford, a local resident and Vietnam War veteran.
- Dearborn - Henry Ford Community College will host a Veterans Day Celebration with a ceremony and panel discussion from 11AM to 12:30 PM on MOnday, Nov. 12 at the Forfa Auditorium, ASCC Building, 5101 Evergreen Road, in Dearborn. Meet Miss Michigan 2012. All events are free and open to the public. Contact the student activities office at 313-845-9865 for more information or see attached flyer.
- Detroit - The Detroit Historic Civil War Society will hold its 28th annual Veterans Day ceremony for the 102nd US Colored Troops of the Civil War starting at 9:30AM on Monday, Nov. 12. This ceremony will take place at Elmwood Cemetery, corner of E Lafayette & McDougal, with a flyover at 10. Contact Robert at 313-300-0165 for more information or see attached flyer.
- Galesburg - Area servicemen who lost their lives in war and Medal of Honor recipients from Michigan will be honored at a special flag retirement ceremony at 4 PM on Nov. 11. The ceremony will be held behind Galesburg City Hall at 200 E. Michigan Ave. Visitors can stop by the Galesburg Historical Museum near the City Hall from 3-6 PM for the featured military display.
- Grosse Pointe Shores - Veterans Day: Honoring Those Who Served
As a salute to our American heroes, Ford House is offering free admission to U.S. Veterans and their families. Veterans who show their VA identification card or DD214 papers will get a complimentary house tour and an audio tour of the Ford House grounds. Current service women and men may also gain free admission by presenting an active military ID. House tours begin every half hour. Maximum 4 free admissions (service person and three family members).
- Kalamazoo - The Kalamazoo County Veterans Day Program will be at 2 PM on Nov. 11 at Rose Park Veterans Memorial. The Rose Park Veterans Memorial is at King Highway and West Michigan Avenue. The ceremony will be preceded by the reading of the names of all Kalamazoo County residents who have died in the nation’s wars. Participants will include the Western Michigan University ROTC, Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Department Reserve Division, the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, and the Kalamazoo Detachment Marine Corps League. The guest speaker will be David C. Maturen, chairman of the Kalamazoo County Board of Commissioners and a U.S. Army veteran who served from 1971-73. Presiding at the event will be Kalamazoo attorney Robert Hencken.
- Lansing - Capital Area Veterans Day ceremony at Pattengill Middle School. A social hour begins at 9:30 AM in the cafeteria. There will be coffee and donuts, along with information tables for veterans and their families about various opportunities and organizations in the area. The ceremony begins at 10:30 AM in the auditorium. The community is welcome and there is no charge to honor the veterans.
- Macomb - Macomb County will have a number of events for Veterans Day. A list of events can be found here.
- Marcellus - VFW Post No. 4054 will hold a program at 6 PM on Nov. 11 that will include a potluck supper and a retiring of the colors at post headquarters located at 53550 M-40 South.
- Mendon - Crossroads Missionary Church will recognize veterans during the 10:30 AM worship service, there will be a noon dinner for all area veterans and then a 1 PM program that will honor veterans. For more information, call 269-496-4305.
- Otsego - VFW Post 3030 will sponsor a Veterans Day ceremony at Memorial Park, at the corner of Farmers and Dix streets, at 11 a.m. on Nov. 11.
- Plainwell - Memorial Post 9377 has organized a Veterans Day ceremony that begins at 11 AM, Nov. 12 with the ringing of the city’s church bells, which is the historical signal used to announce an end of hostilities. The ceremony will include veterans presenting a wreath in honor of their departed comrades, and the Rifle Squad of the Francis E. Sanders Post 84, American Legion, firing off the traditional military rifle salute. The event will take place at The Greater Plainwell Veterans’ Memorial in Sherwood Park.
- Portage - A Veterans Day Ceremony at the Portage Veterans Memorial will be held at 11 AM on Nov. 11. It will feature guest speaker T. W. Lane, a member of American Legion Post 207 and director of Lest We Forget Our Vets. Prior to the event coffee and donuts will be provided by the First Reformed Church of Portage.
- Portage - The Kalamazoo Air Zoo will be offering free admission, including wristbands for rides and attractions, to veterans, active military, Guard and Reserve members and their immediate families. Proof of military service is required. The museum is located at 6151 Portage Road.
- Richmond - St. Peter's Lutheran School - The Kindergarten Class will host a very special reception for the "heros" of our country-Veterans. Come share this special tribute with all the children of St. Peter's Lutheran School. 586-727-9080
- Romeo - The Women Marines Association, Motor City Chapter, in cooperation with the Romeo Masonic Temple and the Romeo Post Office, will be holding a Military Holiday Package Drive to send care packages to our troops serving overseas. The event will be held at the Romeo Masonic Temple, 231 N Main, in Romeo, from 9AM to 2PM on Saturday, November 10. For a list of items needed see this flyer.
- Royal Oak - The Royal Oak VFW will Honor Veterans 3rd Annual Live radio broadcast on WSDS 1480AM. Listen live @www.wsds1480.com (The Veterans Hour) Phone: (248) 542-6564 http://www.www.acorn1669.org
- Sterling Heights - Sterling Heights Veterans Day Ceremony Everyone is invited to their 2012 Veterans Day ceremony starting at 11AM at their recreation center, located at 40620 Utica Road, in Sterling Hgts. Their will be a 21 gun salute, guest speakers, and free refreshments. Contact the city at 586-446-2489 for more information, or see attached flyer.Phone: 586-979-3535
- Sturgis - VFW Post 1355 will host a Veterans Day program at 11 a.m. Nov. 12 at the post. Events will include the reading of names on the Sturgis Veterans Memorial and fallen veterans in the past year, a rifle squad and performances by the Sturgis High School band. Soup and sandwiches will be served. The post is located at 264 W. Fawn River Road.
- Unionville - Tuscola County Veterans Day Parade. This is a small parade in rural area parade and all veterans are welcome. Phone: 989-673-4687
- Vicksburg - VFW Post 5189 and the village of Vicksburg will sponsor a Veterans Day Ceremony at 11 AM pn Monday, Nov. 12, with guest speaker Ward Lawrence. Coffee and doughnuts will be served at 10 AM at the Vicksburg Community Center, 101 S. Main St..
- Warren - Macomb Community College will host a Veterans Day Commemoration on Monday, Nov. 12 at noon. The ceremony will recognize service of members of the armed forces, including remarks from military officials, a rifle squad salute and “The Armed Forces Medley,” which honors each branch of service. South Campus: D Building flagpole, E. 12 Mile and Bunert Roads.
- White Lake - White Lake VFW Post Ladies Auxiliary 4156 is holding its 4th annual Thanksgiving Dinner for Veterans. All are welcome from 3 to 7PM on Saturday, Nov. 10. Bring your family for a fine dinner. The post is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake. Call 810-227-2091 for tickets or see attached flyer.
Many Michigan businesses will be offering special discounts, freebies and offers exclusively for Veterans Day. Here is a list of Veterans Day specials:
- Golden Corral - On Monday, November 12, 2012 from 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Golden Corral will be giving out Veterans Day free meals to any person who has ever served in the U.S. military or is on current active duty. All Golden Corral locations will be participating and no identification is required to get your free meal. Last year, Golden Corral served over 375,000 veterans a Veterans Day free meal!
- Applebee's - Stop into a participating Applebee’s on Sunday, November 11, 2012 to get your Veterans day free meal. You’ll be able to choose a meal from a limited Veteran’s Day menu that includes steak, cheeseburgers, chicken tenders, salad, pasta, chicken, and shrimp. You can see the complete menu by using the link above. This deal is dine-in only and beverages and gratuity are not included. You’ll need to bring in one proof of military service such as a U.S. Uniform Service ID card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired ID card, current Leave and Earnings statement, photograph in uniform, be wearing your uniform, a veterans organization card such as American Legion or VFW, or a DD214. Find an Applebee’s near you and call ahead to find out if they are participating in the Veterans Day free meal.
- T.G.I. Friday's - T.G.I. Friday’s will be having free lunch for all veterans and active military on Monday, November 12, 2012.
- Krispy Kreme - Veterans can start their Veteran’s Day off with a free breakfast at Krispy Kreme that includes a doughnut and a small coffee.
- McCormick & Schmick's - You can stop into a participating McCormick & Schmick’s on Sunday, November 11, 2012 to get your Veterans Day free meal. Your free lunch or dinner entree will be from a limited menu and reservations are recommended. Bring in a form of identification such as your VA card, VFW card, American Legion card, discharge papers, DD214, or other veteran’s ID.
- Hooters - Stop by a participating Hooters anytime on Sunday, November 11, 2012 and get a Veterans Day free meal. You’ll get 10 free boneless wings. A drink purchase is required. You’ll need to bring in a military ID or proof of military service. Dine in only.
- Little Caesar's - Stop into a participating Little Caesar’s and get a free order of Crazy Bread. I recommend calling ahead to verify that your local Little Caesar’s is participating. You’ll need to present a valid military I.D. to get this freebie.
- Hy-Vee - Stop into any Hy-Vee grocery store with in-store dining and get a free breakfast on Monday, November 12, 2012. You’ll get to choose from a wide variety of breakfast foods set out on a buffet. Find a Hy-Vee near you and call to confirm that they are participating and the hours of the free buffet.
- Marlborough Pub and Eatery - The Marlborough Pub and Eatery in Ontario will be having a free Veterans Day lunch on Sunday, November 11, 2012.
- Olive Garden - Olive Garden is offering a free meal to all veterans and active duty military on Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 2012. Provide proper proof of service at any Olive Garden restaurant in the US and Canada and enjoy a free entree, complete with baked garlic breadsticks and a choice of soup or salad. Veterans can choose from Seafood Alfredo, Chicken Parmigiana, Soup, Salad, & Bread sticks, Braised Beef & Tortellini, Cheese Ravioli, or Spaghetti & Meatballs.
- Famous Dave - Famous Dave will be offereing FREE Two Meat Salute - choose two different meats served with a Corn Bread Muffin and your choice of one side.
- Chili's - Chili's will be offering a free meal to Vets on Nov. 11 from a specially selected menu. Vets will also have a reduced cost ($5) brownie sundae that can be purchased. You’ll need to show proof of military service to get your Veterans Day free meal – a U.S. Uniform Services ID Card, a U.S. Uniform Services Retired ID Card, a Current Leave and Earnings Statement, Veterans Organization Card, a DD214, a photograph in uniform, or wear your uniform. Find a Chili’s near you so you can stop in and get your free meal.
- Texas Roadhouse – free lunch, Sunday, Nov. 11 2012. Every Texas Roadhouse location across the country will participate in the free lunch event to honor the men and women of our armed forces. Choose from one of 10 free meals, plus sides and a drink. Offer good for All veterans – including all active, retired or former U.S. military. ID Required. Find locations.
- Outback Steakhouse - Stop into any Outback Steakhouse on November 11-12 to get a free Bloomin’ Onion and Coca-Cola product. From Nov. 11- Dec. 31, enjoy our Military Mates 10% discount too! This offer is for veterans as well as active duty military. You’ll need to bring in one ID such as a U.S. Uniform Services ID card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired ID card, current Leave and Earnings statement, DD form 214, a veterans organization card, a photograph of you in uniform, or you can wear your uniform to get your free Veterans Day meal. Find an Outback Steakhouse near you to get your Veterans Day free meal.
- Red Robin - Veterans and active duty military can stop into their local Red Robin on Monday, November 12 to get a free Red's Tavern Double burger and Bottomless Steak Fries. Be sure to bring your military ID to take advantage of this Veterans Day freebie.
- Denny's - Stop by Denny's on Monday, November 12, 2012 and all active, non-active, and retired military personnel can get free all you can eat pancakes from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. All Denny's locations are participating in this promotion and you'll just need to bring a valid military ID along with you.
- Bar Louie - Bar Louie locations across the country will offer veterans and military personnel a free meal up to a $11 value when they show valid military I.D. or other proof of service. You can stop by a location near you and get your free Veterans Day meal for lunch or dinner.
- Subway - Select SUBWAY® Restaurants will offer a FREE six inch sub or flatbread to military veterans on Veterans Day. This offer is valid only on November 11, 2012 at participating local SUBWAY® restaurants, Military ID or proof of service required.Note: SUBWAY® Restaurants are franchises, so this offer may not be available everywhere. Please call ahead for participation and times.
Veteran’s Day Discounts – Retail Stores & More
Here are some additional Veterans Day Discounts. In all cases, be sure to provide proper ID or proof of service. In addition, some of these stores are franchises, so verify participation before assuming the discount is in place.
- Amazon.com – Free MP3 album download “Veterans Day Honor” This free downloadable album includes 12 songs as performed by the military bands and ensembles of the U.S. Armed Forces. Visit Amazon now through Veterans Day to download the album for free (album will be full price again starting Nov. 12).
- Big Lots – 10% off your entire purchase. Offer available to active duty, Guard/Reserve, veterans, retirees and their immediate family members, with valid ID. Please call ahead to verify.
- Cabela’s. Cabela’s is giving their standard employee discount to all US military veterans, active duty military, Guard/Reserves, law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel on Nov. 10-11. Discount varies from 5% to 20%, depending on the item.
- Dollar General. 10% discount on entire purchase on Veterans Day. Offer good for all active-duty military, retirees, veterans, Guard/Reserve, & immediate family members. The coupon can be found in the store circular, or by asking an employe. Also good online from Nov 11-13, use Coupon Code VETERANSDAY. More info.
- Free Business Cards and Checks. Get 25 FREE Checks – Choose from 6 different designs or upgrade to premium checks and choose from many more designs. Bonus Offer – Get 250 Free Business Cards! FREE Checks & Business Cards offer.
- Free Car wash. Thousands of car washes around the country are offering vets a free car wash on Veterans Day, Sun. Nov. 11, 2012. Find a list at Grace for Veterans, which helped veterans receive 101,537 FREE Washes on Veterans Day in 2011.
- Home Depot 10% Veterans Day Discount – Home Depot is branching their military discount out to include all veterans for Veterans Day. Veterans can save 10% off all purchase up to $500.
- Jos. A. Bank Specials: Veterans Day Sale- 1 Day Only! All Suits On Sale- 2nd for $47 Mix ‘n Match. 40% Off All Dress Shirts, Sportshirts, Ties & Sportswear. Free Shipping on Orders $195+. Valid: November 11. JoS. A. Bank Veterans Day Sale Orders.
- K-Mart. Exclusive Early Veterans Day Sale – Nov. 10th! EXTRA 5-10% off Almost Everything with coupon code VETERANSDAY. Friday & Saturday Specials + EXTRA 5-15% off & FREE Shipping orders of $49 with coupon code HOLIDAY.
- Lowe’s 10% Veterans Day Discount – Lowe’s usual military discount of 10% off all purchases is extended to all veterans for Veterans Day weekend.
- Netflix: Netflix – One Month Free Trial.
- Seven-Eleven – Free small Slurpee on Friday, Nov. 11 from 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Offer good to all current and former military members. ID or proof of service required.
- Sports Authority – 15% off all purchases. All Veterans and Military personnel please stop by your local Sports Authority store to receive 15% OFF YOUR ENTIER PUCHSASE on 11.11.11 ONLY! Please show proper identification or proof of service at check-out to receive this special offer.
- Sport Clips – Veterans Day National cut-a-thon and Help A Hero program. Sport Clips is the official haircutter of the VFW and will donate $1 from every haircut during the National Cut-a-Thon to VFW’s Operation Uplink, which provides free phone time to active-duty military personnel and hospitalized veterans. Sports Clips stores also offer a offer a Heroes discount which includes active and retired military. Find a location near you.
- Steve Madden. We’d like to salute our heroes by doubling our everyday military discount of 15% to 30% OFF for Veteran’s Day ONLY. Valid with a form of Military identification (past or present) in Steve Madden stores only (not valid online). *Full priced merchandise only. Find a store near you.
- Tim Hortons – all US locations are offering a free donut to all veterans (check out the Star Spangled donut!).
Regional Veterans Day Discounts
- Detroit area Ponderosa, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012 All 7 Detroit area Ponderosa Restaurants will offer a free buffet meal for military veterans from open to close.
- Free Night Lodging at B&B’s Around the Country – Vets can stay the night at almost 400 participating B&B’s and inns around the country on Sunday, November 11, 2012. Reservations for your free stay can be made now and are only available while supplies last. In the third year of the program, B&Bs for Vets has organized over 230 (and counting) participating Bed and Breakfasts and Inns across the US and Canada which will be offering veterans a free night’s stay on November 10th, the night before Veterans Day. This offer is available to both active duty military members and veterans with ID, but space is limited. Each Inn and B&B has at least one room available for this promotion and reservations must be made directly through the participating Inns and B&Bs. For more information visit B&Bs for Vets.
- Anheuser-Busch Parks Anheuser-Busch Parks offers Active Duty Service Members free admission for them and up to 3 dependents to any of their parks once a year. Throughout 2011, members of the military and as many as three direct dependents may enter SeaWorld, Busch Gardens or Sesame Place parks with a single-day complimentary admission. The Here’s to the Heroes program is only available to Any active duty, activated or drilling reservist, or National Guardsman. Eligible parks include: Adventure Island, Busch Gardens (Tampa Bay or Williamsburg), SeaWorld (Orlando, San Diego, or San Antonio), Sesame Place, and Water Country USA. Not valid at Discovery Cove and Aquatica. Christmas Town at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. is not included as part of this program. For more information and to register, visit: Free admission summary, and ticket application.
- Colonial Williamsburg Free Admission Colonial Williamsburg offers free weekend-long admission tickets to active-duty military, reservists, retirees, veterans, and their immediate dependents from Thursday, Nov. 9 through Monday, Nov. 12th. The complimentary ticket includes admission to Colonial Williamsburg exhibition sites, art museums, and most daytime programs, as well as free parking and use of the shuttle bus system. Tickets are only available at on-site ticket sales locations. Tickets are also available to families of deployed service members. Tickets available on the following dates: Nov. 9-12, 2012.
- Fee Free Day at National ParksTo honor America’s service men and women, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced that areas managed by the National Park Service would not charge entrance fees for Veterans Day weekend – November 10-12, 2012. Everyone is eligible, not just veterans. Over 100 national Parks will be participating in this event.
- Historic Jamestowne – Free AdmissionThe National Park Service commemorates Veterans Day with Fee Free days at Historic Jamestowne November 11-13. Free admission for everyone. See events calendar.
- Knotts Berry Farm Military Tribute Days – Free Admission 2012 Knott’s Berry Farm has an annual Military Tribute event in which they offer military members past and present by offering free park admission. This year the Military Tribute Days run from November 1 – 21 November. Veterans or current serving military personnel plus one guest get in FREE with proper ID presented at Knott’s turnstile (DD214, Veterans Administration Hospital ID or Active Military Service ID). Purchase up to six additional tickets for just $19 each. More info.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame – Free Admission, Nov. 3. 2012 Annual Veterans Day Salute, Saturday, November 03, 2012, 09:00 AM – 05:00 PM. Any veteran or member of the armed forces and their spouse or a guest will be admitted free of charge to the Hall of Fame for a day-long recognition of US Military veterans. Members of the Blue and Gold Star Mothers will also be eligible for free admission. Veterans and guests also receive a 10% discount in the Hall of Fame Store. There will be a special ceremony beginning at 10:00 a.m. in the Hall of Fame’s NFL Films Theater. More information.
- San Jacinto Monument and Museum (La Porte, TX) November 7-13: Free admission to the theatre, Observation Floor, and (on November 12-13) the special exhibit to all veterans and their families. More info.
- Free Hugo® Canes for VeteransSam’s Club® locations nationwide will distribute 36,000 Hugo® canes free of charge on November 9th, 10th, 11th, 2011 to U.S. military veterans in need of mobility assistance. Limited quantities available, while supplies last. Sam’s Club® Membership is not required, but proof of military service may be required. For more information, visit HugoSalutes.com.