Hartland will be celebrating it's long tradition of honoring those who have served our country during the 77th Annual Memorial Day parade this weekend.
Starting on Sunday evening, the Hartland Area Historical Society will host a Luminary Walk where visitors are invited to place luminaries on gravesites of veterans in the .
On Monday, the day starts off early with a starting at 7 a.m., a 5K/10K and 3K walk at 8 a.m., activites in Epley Park and the parade at noon.
will be the grand marshall for the 2012 parade.
It's a day full of family-friendly activities meant to not only honor our soldiers, but bring the community together as well. Many residents look forward to the annual events every year.
"I love eating from the vendors in the park, visiting with friends under a shade tree and seeing families and pets enjoying the community," Hartland resident Danna Castillo wrote on the Hartland Patch Facebook page. "I think its what a small town should feel like and I love it."
Hartland resident Stefanie Furge says one of her favorite parts of the day is the pancake breakfast served at before lining up for the parade.
Do you have a favorite memory or event? Share them with us in comments.
The Luminary Walk begins at 8 p.m. Sunday evening at the Hartland cemetary. Luminaries are placed at the grave sites of all veterans while friends, families and re-enactors tell stories of some of Hartland's local veterans. Taps will be played at dusk.
Roads into the village area of the Hartland are closed from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., so plan accordingly. Available parking includes , , the main branch and the old Township Hall. Do not park at , where the parade is staged.
Also, handicapped parking is available at the east end of and east of following the pancake breakfast.
Still looking for a group to walk with? The Cromaine Library is inviting its guests to join them in their annual parade march. Meet your group in the Ore Creek Parking lot, carrying your favorite book – ride your bike or pull a wagon, and walk behind the Cromaine White Ford Pickup. If you have a T-shirt from a previous year, please wear it. Contact Carol Taggart at 810-632-5200, ext. 114 for more details.
If you have a group looking for walkers, let us know in comments.
Memorial Day schedule
- 7-11 a.m. — pancake breakfast at Village Elementary School.
- 8 a.m. — a 10K/5K run and 3K walk will be held starting from the Hartland High School field house.
- 10 a.m. — Memorial Day service at .
- 10 a.m. — parade float judging at Hartland Middle School at Ore Creek.
- 10:15 a.m. — Memorial Day service at the Parshallville Mill Pond.
- 11 a.m. — Memorial Day service at Hartland Cemetery.
- 11 a.m. — parade horse judging at the Spranger Field parking lot.
- 11:15 a.m. — fancy bike judging at the driveway of the Hartland Middle School at Ore Creek.
- 11:45 a.m. — Memorial Day service at the Hartland Mill Pond.
- noon — parade in the village area of Hartland. It begins at Hartland Middle School at Ore Creek and ends at Village Elementary School. A flyover also is at noon weather permitting.
- 1:15 p.m. — performance by the marching band at Epley Park.
- 2 p.m. — more live music starting at Epley Park.