Beginning next month, the athletic, recreational, training and fitness facility, located on 120 acres just north of Winans Lake Rd., will begin offering programs housed under the newly added 104,000 square foot dome enclosing an artificial turf soccer and lacrosse field.
The Legacy Center is located in the middle of the 120-acre field bordered by Whitmore Lake, Winans Lake and Rickett Roads.
Here are five things to know about the new facility in Livingston County, according to the Legacy Center's website.
1. The Legacy Center is being designed as Michigan’s premiere indoor and outdoor athletic, recreational, training and fitness facility. The vision of the center is to provide athletes of all levels the opportunity and experience of a world-class facility that enhances their training and competition experience.
2. The vision of the Legacy Center is that of Michigan Rehabilitation Specialists (MRS) owners Rodney and Amy Goble. The husband and wife team founded the physical therapy business in 1999 in Hamburg and now have 30 locations across Michigan, including Brighton, Hartland, Fowlerville, and Howell. They teamed with Rodney’s brother Roger Goble, also a physical therapist, to bring the Legacy Center to Livingston County.
3. The construction of the indoor and outdoor spaces of the Legacy Center will cover 120 of those acres north of Winans Lake Road and occur in in two phases. The remaining 180 acres is for the Legacy Park, planned for separate commercial and residential development in compliment to the Legacy Center.
4. The Legacy Center signed a contract with AR Brouwer, Inc. of Dexter for the construction and construction management of the multi-million dollar, two-phase facility. It is projected that 50-100 new jobs directly related to the Legacy Center operations will be created by the time phase two opens.
5. Construction of the second phase of development is scheduled to begin in the fall of 2014 with a completion target in the fall of 2015. Phase two construction is to include:
170,000 square foot field house with one large premium turf playing surface and two smaller turfed areas for training and smaller sided programming.
- Connected to the field house will be a 45,000 square foot wellness building to include office space, fitness center, Michigan Rehabilitation Specialists physical therapy clinic and restaurant/snack area and two outdoor softball fields, one outdoor little league baseball field, and one premium outdoor turf stadium field for soccer, lacrosse and football.