It's Tuesday and November is here. Here are five tidbits of news and information that we hope you'll find useful or entertaining.
Please also don't miss our video greeting (at right) from members of champion disc golf team from LEGACY, Hartland School District's alternative high school — who literally jump for joy.
1. The weather
Watch out for dense fog before 10 a.m. otherwise it'll be mostly sunny and a high near 56 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Winds will pickup to 13 to 16 miles per hour with gusts as strong as 24 mph. Tonight, it'll be partly cloudy with a low of around 40.
2. Fuel prices
Here's a quick daily survey of the regular per-gallon price, according to gasbuddy.com —
- : $3.49
- Shell: $3.54
- Mobil: $3.59 (cash is 10 cents lower)
- Lowest price at Hickory Ridge and M-59 in Highland: $3.35 at Citgo.
- Lowest price in the Fenton area: $3.31 at — at a VG's Quick Stop at Silver Lake and Owen, a Marathon station at N LeRoy and Glenwood and a Speedway at Owen and U.S. 23.
- Lowest price in the Brighton area: $3.33 at Costco, 6700 Whitmore Lake Rd.
Does your child have too much candy? is offering $1 to kids 12 and younger for each pound of unopened candy they bring from 3:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesday. The candy is shipped overseas to troops as part of Operation Gratitude.
4. Award-winning soldier featured countywide in newspaper article
The military exploits of 2005 Hartland High School grad Joe Ventura — from being promoted to the rank of staff sergeant to winning awards including Marine of the year — have been chronicled in the Livingston County Daily Press & Argus.
The 25-year-old would like to become an officer and is preparing to be deployed to Afghanistan early next year, the article said.
5. Hartland trivia
No one was able to get Monday's question — The Shuttle Service was a bulletin for? Answer: Hartland weavers.
Tuesday's question: One of Hartland's pioneers was Freeman Near. He was Hartland's first ______. Please answer in comments.