On Sept 5, results showed Johnston in second place and as of Sept. 11, the local firefighter continues to hold the second spot. The winner being announced Monday, Sept. 16.
Johnston, a 2010 Hartland High School graduate, is one of ten local heroes in the Comerica Bank’s Home of the Brave National Anthem Singing Contest.
The winner will also receive 40 tickets to the game and a $10,000 grant to the winner’s police or fire station, according to a press release from Comerica.
To watch and vote for Johnston's entry submission, click here.
Metro Detroit police officers and firefighters submitted videos to the Comerica Cares Facebook page hoping to win the opportunity to sing the National Anthem at the Sept. 22 Detroit Tigers game at Comerica Park.
Rankings as of the morning of Sept. 11, are as follows:
1. Martin Rucker, Firefighter, Detroit
3. Steven Curtis, Police Officer, Oakland County Sheriff’s Office
4. Brendan Moore, Police Officer, Ferndale
5. Tyler Auclair and Jake Gilbert, Firefighters, Auburn Hills
6. Carl Allen, Police Officer, Detroit
7. Jeffrey Siarto, Firefighter, Oxford
8. Roderick Wynn, Firefighter, Auburn Hills
9. Raquel Reyes, Police Officer, Auburn Hills
10. Patrice Dubose, Police Officer, Detroit