There are many versions of how the Jack-o-lantern came to be.
According to Wikipedia, some believed they were a way of protecting your home against the Undead with superstitious people using them specifically to ward away vampires.
Others believed they were a way to welcome deceased loved ones into their homes on Halloween night.
There are also several versions of an old Irish myth about a man named "Stingy Jack" who tricked the Devil from claiming his soul. According to The History Channel, after Jack died, God wouldn't claim his soul and the Devil refused to allow him into Hell, so he put a coal in a carved-out turnip and began roaming the Earth.
- The world's largest pumpkin was carved in Pennsylvania by Scott Cully. The pumpkin was grown by Larry Checkon and weighed 1,469 pounds in 2005.
- The World's Fastest Pumpkin Carver, Steve Clarke a sixth-grade teacher and football coach from PA, carved a pumpkin face in 24.03 seconds in 2006 as part of a Food Network Challenge.
- The pumpkin capitol of the world is Morton, Illinois.
- Irish brought the tradition of pumpkin carving to America.
- Pumpkins are fruit.
- Pumpkins are 90 percent water.
- Pumpkins were once recommended for removing freckles and curing snake bites.
What is your favorite thing to carve on your pumpkin? Tell us in comments.